Marsha411JD, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp in Landlord Tenant issues

What can be done if property management refuses to return

Customer Question

What can be done if property management refuses to return last month security deposit - Colorado.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for your question. Can you tell me when you moved out of your rental unit and whether you have received anything in writing that says why they are not returning your security deposit? If you did receive something in writing, how long after you moved out did you receive it?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
June 23rd move out. No written documents except email promises. According to the lease they were to provide documentation re settlement of charges, etc. 15 days after move out, nothing was sent.

Thank you for your reply. You will have to file a small claims court suit for the return of your security deposit. The process is actually fairly simple and you can ask the court to make the landlord pay for your filing fees and time. Colorado law gives the landlord 30 days to either return the deposit or an itemized statement of damages and any balance. If your lease gave them less time, then you would use the lease to claim breach of contract. You can get your SCC forms from your local court clerk or online. Here is some general information about security deposit law in Colorado:

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the ratings box below, I will receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 22nd. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies, or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit(paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither.

Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating,please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator.Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue,if needed. You can bookmark my page at:

Thank you.