barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney for over 15 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

I live in a two bed/2 bath apartment and have been here for

Customer Question

Hi. I live in a two bed/2 bath apartment and have been here for over a year paying over a thousand dollars each month promptly. Since I moved, there has always been this sort of bubble on my guest bathroom ceiling and it has gotten much worse. Now it is hanging dangerously low, about to collapse. I have repeatedly told the landlord about this and they've even been in to snap pictures of it, but nothing has been. Absolutely nothing and they haven't gotten back to me. This is the first apartment I've ever lived in and I'm not sure what needs to be or if anything needs to be done. Please advise. Thank you.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Can you tell me what state this is in?

.

Are you saying that the ceiling is sagging down like it is ready to collapse?

.

Have you notified the landlord in writing and demanded that they come make repairs?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
This is Fl, down near Tampa. I have repeatedly reported this ceiling problem several times and even had some guys come in a couple of times to look at it. Yes. It is sagging down, ready to collapse. This is especially concerning, not just for myself, but because I have a toddler and I don't want it falling on him.

Ok, then your next step should be to call the local Code Enforcement or Housing inspector's office and request an inspection. They will come out and then cite the owner to make repairs. This is some kind of leak the is letting the drywall get wet and bow down, either from the roof vent or from another unit upstairs (if there is someone above you).

.

They will force the landlord to make repairs of face daily fines..

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time.

.

If you feel your original question and any related follow ups have been answered, I would very much appreciate a positive rating on the answer I have provided as that is the only way I receive credit for my work. If you have a new question the JustAnswer folks require that you start a new question page, but you can request me by putting "For Barrister" in the caption and they will get it to me.

.

.

thanks much