socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

Can't find Signed lease tenant was warned previous storm of

Customer Question

Can't find Signed lease tenant was warned previous storm of flash flooding Missouri recent storm 7 inches of rain water in basement wants to sue me for this act of God nothing wrong with the pipes just couldn't handle 5 1/2 inches of water in 30 min
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  socrateaser replied 9 months ago.

A landlord is not liable to a tenant for an act of god/natural disaster. Tenant will not prevail. Landlord's obligation is to restore the rental property to habitable condition. During the period of restoration, the landlord cannot charge rent, but is also not liable for paying the tenant's substitute housing costs. The tenant can terminate the lease and move elsewhere, without further liability to the landlord.

The above represents the default rights and obligations of a landlord-tenant relationship. If the tenant has a copy of the lease, then he/she will have to produce it in court to show that you have any responsibility other than to try to effect timely repair to the rental property. But, absent proof of your negligent maintenance of the property, the tenant has no claim against you.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Hello again,

I see that you have reviewed my answer, but that you have not provided a rating. Do you need any further clarification concerning my answer, or is everything satisfactory?

If you need further clarification, concerning this matter, please feel free to ask. If not, I would greatly appreciate a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) – otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.
Thanks again for using Justanswer!