RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

Security deposit return in VA in case of property damage

Customer Question

Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

During the 45 days after you move out, the landlord can use all or part of the deposit for damages that you caused to the property, as long as the damages are not "reasonable wear and tear." For instance, if you lived somewhere for a long time, the carpet may not look new any more and the walls may need to be painted. That is reasonable wear and tear and you should not have to pay for the carpet to be replaced or the walls repainted. However, if you burn a hole in the carpet or you punch a hole in the wall, those are damages, not normal wear and tear, and the landlord can deduct the cost of those repairs from your deposit.

So if there is damage to the home caused by a tenant, a landlord generally can deduct for that. The landlord must list all the deductions that were made from the deposit and inform a tenant of such. If the landlord had to get someone else to make the repairs, then they are allowed an additional 15 days beyond the 45 days to provide you notice of those deductions.

Please remember to kindly leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as that is the only way experts are paid for their time even though you may have already paid a deposit to the site. Follow-up questions asked in this thread do not cost anything additional after leaving a positive rating.

If you need clarification
about my answer or additional information, please use the SEND or REPLY button to continue our conversation. Your satisfaction is my goal and I am here to help!