Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

I am a tenant in a shopping center. We have a lease into

Customer Question

I am a tenant in a shopping center. We have a lease into 2017. The landlord was foreclosed by the bank. The bank sold the property. The new owner has raised everyone's rent and tried to get everyone to sign a new lease. I believe it is an attempt to chase everyone out of the shopping center. The rent on my store was tripled and they refuse to make any repairs. I received an e-mail notice on 8-15-16 to get out by Sep 20, 2016. What should I do?
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: Georgia and I received an e-mail.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No. I have an appointment with a lawyer that I used in 2010 for a car accident. He is also a probate judge The apt. is on 8-29. That does not give me any time to get moved.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I don't have a lot of money at this time.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Sam replied 3 months ago.

Hello

This is Samuel. I am not sure what you want to do.

In general, a properly conducted foreclosure sale will terminate subordinate leases. And so the new owners can negotiate new leases as the old lease has expired with the former owner. I suggest you can get your local attorney to write a letter and try to negotiate the lease for you or at the very least extend your vacate time.