Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney
7286322

If pests are discovered in a rental property, who is

Customer Question

If pests are discovered in a rental property, who is responsible for paying the cost of extermination?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Ely replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

If the pests are the result of the tenant, then the tenant is liable for the costs.

If the pests are the result of the lack of the property being inadequate for habitation such as having large holes through which the pests can come in, then the landlord is liable for the costs of extermination under Cal. Civ. Code §1941.1 et seq.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.