Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

I live in a rooming hotel and the manager and his staff is

Customer Question

I live in a rooming hotel and the manager and his staff is abusing everyone in the building physically and mentally and we all have different disabilities. We are living in rooms that have black mold in them including the bathrooms
JA: Can you tell me what state this is in? Have any charges been officially filed?
Customer: NY
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: No we have not filed any charges and there are no terms of a lease it is month to month
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: This has been going on for 8 years.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Sam replied 3 months ago.

Hello

This is Samuel. I am sorry to hear of this matter. Please give a little detail on the physical abuse?

Also what information can I provide for you in this regard?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I would like to know what legal steps I can take in this matter the cleaner here which is working off the books and collecting welfare has pushed slapped people with disabilities has harrassed bullied and annoyed people with disabilities when brought to the landlords attention nothing was done but evict the people the man was abusing I am now facing harassment for calling the building inspector and is now facing an eviction myself although not from an sheriff or a judge but a motorised letter is this even an legal eviction? And where and how would I go about reporting all this the place I live has to be illegal people working off the books and the abuse and mistreatment of tentants and people with disabilities
Expert:  Sam replied 3 months ago.

Those people who have been assaulted can file criminal charges for assault. And if there is any type of discrimination or harassment, I suggest you may consider filing a complaint with HUD in your area.

Expert:  Sam replied 3 months ago.

I will get you the information to file the HUD complaint.

Expert:  Sam replied 3 months ago.

To report a bad landlord call toll-free at (800) MULTI-70(###) ###-#### / TTY(###) ###-####

Expert:  Sam replied 3 months ago.

A legal eviction in NY has to come from a Court Order So regardless of the type of Notice you have, you are not required to leave until a sheriff shows up with a court order. But first you should be served a 30 day notice to vacate. And when you do not, then the LL has to bring the matter to court - and you will have an opportunity to tell the judge why you should not be evicted.