barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney for over 15 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

I signed a 12 month contract on a lease back on 2013. It was

Customer Question

Hello, I signed a 12 month contract on a lease back on 2013. It was for a rent house. I fulfilled the contract. I have been living here month to month ever since. Now my property management company wants to renew the lease. But first they want to inspect the property. Charging me 50$ dollars for the inspection. They are raising the the rent 3%+25$ per month. Due to insurance. If I want to keep it month to month. It is based on the inspection, of which I will possibly have to pay more deposit. Is this all? And legal?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

If you are month to month after your original fixed term lease expired, then the landlord can change the terms of the lease with a one month written notice. That means that they can increase rent or make other changes (i.e. increase deposit) as long as they give you proper written notice.

.

But as for the inspection charge, unless your original lease allowed that, they can't charge you for it.

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
They just sent me a notice today that the increase is effective Sept 1. Its Aug 17. And no such inspection is in my original lease. They say if I don't comply that I am to be evicted. No one in my neighborhood pays anything close to what they are asking. I have a big family. I feel that I am been singled out.