barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney for over 15 years, landlord 26 years

I signed a 12 month contract on a lease back on 2013. It was

Customer Question

Hello, I signed a 12 month contract on a lease back on 2013. It was for a rent house. I fulfilled the contract. I have been living here month to month ever since. Now my property management company wants to renew the lease. But first they want to inspect the property. Charging me 50$ dollars for the inspection. They are raising the the rent 3%+25$ per month. Due to insurance. If I want to keep it month to month. It is based on the inspection, of which I will possibly have to pay more deposit. Is this all? And legal?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

If you are month to month after your original fixed term lease expired, then the landlord can change the terms of the lease with a one month written notice. That means that they can increase rent or make other changes (i.e. increase deposit) as long as they give you proper written notice.

But as for the inspection charge, unless your original lease allowed that, they can't charge you for it.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
They just sent me a notice today that the increase is effective Sept 1. Its Aug 17. And no such inspection is in my original lease. They say if I don't comply that I am to be evicted. No one in my neighborhood pays anything close to what they are asking. I have a big family. I feel that I am been singled out.