barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney for over 15 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

Septic tank not working, landlord says rent porta potty,or

Customer Question

Septic tank not working, landlord says rent porta potty,or just move
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney whowill try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone whocan. There may be a slight delay in myresponses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

How long has the problem been happening?

.

Have you contacted the local Health Dept or Housing Inspector?

.

,

thanks

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The septic has had problems off and on for a over a year. A month ago he put in a new pump and said he fixed it and the cost was $10,000.00. Found out he put in a boat pump that was very cheap. The downstairs bathroom flooded on the 8th of Aug. He said he does not want to fix it so just move out. Just move out is not always so easy. No, that is next

Ok, if he won't voluntarily make repairs, then you need to call the local Health Dept, Code Enforcement, or Housing Inspector. They can come out, inspect, and then cite the owner to force them to make repairs to the plumbing.

.

Further, if the property is deemed uninhabitable, he would have to put you up in a hotel at his expense until the repairs are made or you can sue him for breach of contract for damages in small claims court. If you ended up having to move out, you can sue him for any moving costs since he is the one in violation of the lease by not providing a safe and habitable dwelling.

.

Let me know if you have further questions..

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I having a bit of trouble with my computer, it's kinda doing it on thing. Is it possible to converse more tomorrow with no additional charges. We have to go out and pump septic, not a good thing.

No worries, just get back with me when you can.. I am online most afternoons and evenings.