Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney

I am a tenant that has just moved out of a townhouse. What

Customer Question

I am a tenant that has just moved out of a townhouse. What is considered "normal wear and tear" after 8 years of residency?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Paint typically has a shelf life of 3-4 years. A landlord usually wouldn't be able to charge a tenant for repainting after 8 years of residence. Similarly, rental property carpet usually has a 5 year lifespan. If you want to be able to deduct for damage to the carpet, you have to be able to prove it was supposed to last longer (which means producing the original paperwork). You'd also have to prorate - the tenant wouldn't be liable for the full cost of a brand new carpet. If the appliances were taken or are not working, those would also be prorated based on how old they were and how long they're supposed to last. Those are the wear and tear issues that tend to come up most regularly. If you can tell me specifically what items you're looking at, I should be able to give you more information.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I spackled the small holes in the walls from where the pictures were hung and there is a small (removable) stain on the carpet in one of the rooms

Nail holes are usually considered reasonable wear and tear. A stain on the carpet is damage. You're allowed to charge for the cost of having it cleaned.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
when you say tenant (me) must pay the cost to have it cleaned. The entire room cleaned or just the stain?

Some leases require a tenant to pay for full carpet cleaning. Check to see if yours does. If not, just the cost of having the stain removed.

Please rate my answer positively to ensure I get credit for the time I spend helping. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you.