insearchoftheanswer, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer; developer/owner of RE developments.

Our lease is up in February but our landlord just told us he

Customer Question

Our lease is up in February but our landlord just told us he wants to move his son into the apartment. He said he would make it "worth our while". He almost sounds as if he's asking more than telling and truthfully this would be a very bad time as my roommate is still in school. Is this legal? Is this something we can just say sorry not at this time?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  insearchoftheanswer replied 2 months ago.

Good evening. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today! It will take me just a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Your landlord is asking as he has no legal right to tell you to leave or to terminate your lease early without your consent. If he wants possession early to move his son in, the only legal way he can accomplish that is to pay you enough so that you consent to move out early. This is basically referred to as "cash for keys." You have all the leverage because unless you agree, he's stuck with your lease until the end of the lease term.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (hopefully Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!