AttyHeather
AttyHeather, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience
93913325

Can a landlord leave you with out repairing air condition if

Customer Question

Can a landlord leave you with out repairing air condition if you are a senior citizen
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Heather, an attorney with 15 years experience and I'd like to assist.

What a terrible situation.

Normally the landlord has the obligation to to maintenance of the air conditioner. You will want to confirm this in your lease, but I'd be shocked if it put that responsibility on you. In addition, landlords are supposed to keep your premises up to code, and a nonfunctioning a/c just doesn't fit the bill. It sounds like the landlord is not going to pay you for the hotel stay. If you can show that you gave notice of the needed maintenance, and that he unreasonably delayed, or he delayed longer than he is allowed in the lease (if the lease states how much time he has to respond to this type of situation), then you should be able to get this reimbursement if you sue him in court. Unfortunately, unless you sue him, you won't get your money unless he pays voluntarily.

Has that answered your question?