LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have handled Real Estate and Landlord Tenant matters for more than two decades.
15277592

PA** We sent our electrician to do some work at a house

Customer Question

PA** We sent our electrician to do some work at a house occupied by t enants. Upon entering he noted illegal drugs in bags and a bong on the coffee table. He took a picture of the scene and sent it to me, saying that he does not feel comfortable performing work there without my presence. We initiated eviction immediately. Tenants are saying we have violated their "RTA (Residential Tenancy Authority) rights by having our electrician take pictures of personal property that is outside of his scope of work." Furthermore, they claim we have violated privacy rights by taking pictures of various other damages in the house that is also listed in the eviction complaint. how legitimate is their complaint? I mean, how else can we prove the cause of our complaint except by pictures? If indeed the electrician took pictures illicitly, can we argue that our electrician functions as an extension of management, which has the right to take pictures of evidence? Furthermore, they want to contact the electrician in order to verify the "work performed and that the affected area is safe to occupy." If I withheld the information then I am "denying them right to natural safety, and causing imminent harm owing to emotional distress." The electrician does not want me to give them his number in order to avoid harassment. he is willing to issue a written statement indicating what he did and verifying the safety of the living space. they continue to say this isn't enough. they want to speak with him personally, else they are still in 'emotional distress.' How legitimate is any of their claims? Sounds like they took a few pre-law courses and consider themselves experts.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  LawTalk replied 9 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

The tenant complaint is entirely without merit. It was not a violation of their rights for the contractor to take photos of illegal activity for your use in the eviction---so long as the contractor was in the home legally to begin with.

The tenants have no legal right to demand from you the identity or contact number for your contractor.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
by identity of our electrician does that include his name? do they have the right to demand his license and/or insurance information?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 9 months ago.

Yes, that includes his name as well and contact information. You have not legal obligation to tell the tenants who he is.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 9 months ago.

do they have the right to demand his license and/or insurance information? Not from you they don't.

Doug

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
how do we respond to their demand for what was done and whether's the space is safe to occupy (we all know it's just b.s. to try to get leverage as it was only one outlet that blew out but we don't want them to accuse us o f denying them peaceful enjoyment or causing them unnecessary emotional distress)
Expert:  LawTalk replied 9 months ago.

You tell them that the contractor found one bad electric receptacle, that it was repaired/replaced, and that is that all you need to share with them.

Please keep in mind that, even though you have already paid your deposit money over to JustAnswer, until you rate me highly for my service, I will not be paid for having assisted you with your questions.

You may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further.

I wish you well,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 9 months ago.

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 9 months ago.

Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

Doug