MDLawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  10 years in legal practice. Over 5 years in advising clients on landlord/tenant issues, including on a pro bono basis.

My landlord charged us $4,500 for breaking our lease and

Customer Question

My landlord charged us $4,500 for breaking our lease and then re-rented the home in less than 10 days of our move out. Is this not double dipping and collecting rent for 2 1/2 months from two different tenants?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  MDLawyer replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for using the Just Answer website. I look forward to assisting you. In what city and state was this? Was the $4500 for rent due for the remainder of the lease or was it also for a lease penalty?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It is in Arlington, Tennessee and they stated it was a fee for breaking the lease, however, there is no disclosure in the lease regarding a fee or penalty for terminating the lease early.
Expert:  MDLawyer replied 2 months ago.

If you break a lease early, you are liable for the remainder of the rent up until the unit is rented to someone else. If, however, your lease has a penalty fee for early termination, you would also be liable for that fee. If your lease did not contain a penalty provision, then you are only liable for rent up until someone else rented the place. Thus, if the landlord charged you for rent when someone else was living there and paying rent, you have the right to request that money back and if the landlord does not agree, you can file a civil lawsuit. Please let me know if this has answered your question.

Expert:  MDLawyer replied 2 months ago.

Hi Bobbie! Let me know if you still need assistance. If you do not , it would be much appreciated if you could leave a positive rating as that is the only way that we experts get credited for the time spent assisting you since we are not Just Answer employees. If, however, you need additional information, simply let me know and we can continue our conversation.