Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert

I went in to Mission Bay Apartments in Rockledge, Fl. to ask

Customer Question

I went in to Mission Bay Apartments in Rockledge, Fl. to ask if my lease could be extended for 6 weeks until my townhouse closed. I was told after an appeal that this was denied and I would have to sign another years lease. I then gave my 30 day notice. Which they accepted. I received a certified letter stating that I owed them 1048.00 because I did not give them 60 day notice of vacate and they charged me for a light fixture and carpet cleaning even though I cleaned the carpets and I don't know about the light fixture. The certified document has been whited out and the figures changed to where I owe them money they took my 500.00 deposit and charged me an additional 548.00 for a total of 1048.00. My rent was 824.00 a month. I gave notice to Ashley who works there and she said 30 day notice was no problem. When I called her she denied this and told me I should of just signed another years lease that this would have been cheaper for me. This individual at no time told me I had to give 60 day notice or that me cleaning the carpets was not acceptable, all she said was make sure you clean the carpets. This individual has altered a certified document with white out to change the monetary figures and I took pictures of the certified document. At no time did Mission Bay tell me I had to give 60 day notice or I would have stayed until my Townhouse closed. They told me to either sign a year's lease and break the lease or move out before my lease was up 8/1/2016.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

Does your lease say you have to give a 60 day notice?

What do you mean the "certified document"....are you talking about the certified letter where they are claiming you owe them money?