Infolawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Experience representing landlords and tenants.
11313492

I am a POA for a person who is currently residing in an

Customer Question

I am a POA for a person who is currently residing in an assisted living facility. Prior to his being there his daughters came, one from Canada and one from England, to clear out his apartment and dispose of his belongings. His landlord, taking advantage of the situation, accused his daughters of putting large furniture items in the dumpster. This is definitely not true. When it became time for the return of the security deposit, the landlord fraudulently deducted $450 from the deposit for what he claims are 2 separate visits by the dumpster company at $100.00 apiece and also an additional charge of $250.00 for a service fee. I want to make a claim in small claims court but do not want to have to pay a lawyer a fee of what?? $750 to get back $450. What are my options?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 3 months ago.

Hello

small claims court is set up for these very cases. You do not need a lawyer. Simply file a complaint with the clerk of the court and the case will be scheduled. Its very simple. Burden of proof will be on landlord to show basis for such charges, and court should grant you the money back and may award additional damages.

Kindly rate me 5 stars.

If I can explain anything or clarify, just ask me.