Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

I felt sorry for a single parent and subleased a house to a

Customer Question

I felt sorry for a single parent and subleased a house to a single parent without the reality company's permission, I know now I was wrong. Because of how the house is being cared for and water bill and electric bill being late . And agreement for my personal items to be in garage to be kept safe. As part of agreement house and belongs are not being taken care of . Also the water and electric recently are not paid on time .now I am afraid of more problems like destruction to the prosperity . I won't the renter evicted . Can I do this and what legal responsibilities do I have to the tenter ? I know I am ultimently responsible for rent to reality company. Shall I go to reality company and admit what I have done and ask for help from them/or even if they are willing to help.or handle this on my own.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  LandlordTenantAnswer replied 3 months ago.

Good afternoon. I am sorry to hear about what you are going through and certainly understand. Did you provide them notice, in writing, the need to cure all the violations? Also, what State is this in?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Texas . What responsibilities do I have to renter . Also I did not finish questions for this service. And my battery went dead , I was in the page to choose type of plan , I know I really do da stupid thing , because of the kids . I am on a tablet but would like to call you

Yes, if you want you can request a call and an expert can speak with you.

As a renter, you needed to get permission from the landlord/owner prior to subleasing. If you did not, you can be in violation of the lease and they can evict you, along with the current tenant and sue you for any damages/costs, as well. Ideally, you will provide the tenant with a notice to cure the issues or vacate. If they fail to do so, then you would need to proceed through the court and evict them. If you went to the company for help, they may evict ALL parties, so that is really a last effort, if they continue to cause damage and will only increase your liability for damages and costs incurred.