RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.

If I have been given a notice of eviction, how can I stay

Customer Question

If I have been given a notice of eviction, how can I stay until I find a new place?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I look forward to helping you.

To clarify, has a judge already signed an Order granting possession to the landlord and issued a writ of possession of the home? Or did you mean you got a "Notice to Quit" the home from the landlord?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
notice to leave premises by the landloard

Thank you for your reply.

A landlord cannot simply lock you out or evict you without a court ordered writ of possession. So, if you fail to leave after the time stated in the notice, the landlord will then have to go to court and file a lawsuit for eviction against you. When you get the lawsuit, you'll have a set amount of time (usually just a few days) to file an "answer" or response). A response can just be a general denial of everything in the suit.

Once you answer the complaint, it will be set for hearing. At hearing, the judge will hear from both of you as to whether you should be evicted and why, and review any evidence that either side has. If they rule in favor of the landlord, they'll sign an Order of Eviction for the property and set a date that you have to be out by.

While this entire process varies by state, usually start to finish is about 4-6 weeks, so you do have some time.

Please remember to kindly leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as that is the only way experts are paid for their time even though you may have already paid a deposit to the site. Follow-up questions asked in this thread do not cost anything additional after leaving a positive rating.

If you need clarification
about my answer or additional information, please use the SEND or REPLY button to continue our conversation. Your satisfaction is my goal and I am here to help!