Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 30 years of experience representing landlords and tenants.
17897874

If a tenant stays 18 days after the end of the lease, is the

Customer Question

if a tenant stays 18 days after the end of the lease, is the landlord allowed to collect the deposit? or is the landlord allowed to charge for the rent of the whole month. (according to Florida Law)
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Loren replied 4 months ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a Florida licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Assuming the lease provided for monthly payments, there is no lease provision for holdover tenancy with terms to the contrary, and no new tenant is taking possession in that month, the landlord is entitled to rent for the entire month.

Again, though, you will want to check the terms of the lease to confirm there is no per diem specified in the lease for holdover tenancy.

Expert:  Loren replied 4 months ago.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

Expert:  Loren replied 4 months ago.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (5 stars) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.