RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

Tenant has not lived in apartment for over a year and is

Customer Question

tenant has not lived in apartment for over a year and is behind in rent
$ 4000.00. His belongings are still in the apt. can I pack them up and store them so I can rent the apt? He will not answer my calls, he lives in
florida with his farther Thank You
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed Florida attorney and look forward to helping you.

Can you please tell me, is the apartment also in Florida?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no the apt is in
Washington, vermont

Thank you for your reply.

Yes you can store the items. You'll need to keep the items in a place where they cannot be damaged, like a storage unit. Under Vermont law, when a tenant abandons the property they have 60 days to claim the property, by telling you the property is theirs and they want it back. They must also pay you the cost of reasonable storage and other reasonable expenses (e.g., if you needed a moving truck to move the items, the cost for that may be reasonable).

Before a landlord can sell, give away or throw away any property left behind, the landlord must give notice about the plans for the property in writing. The landlord can mail the notice to the last address the landlord has for the tenant. The notice must give the tenant at least 60 days to pick up the property and pay reasonable storage and other fees. If the tenant does not respond or does not pay the fees and let you know after the 60 days that they want the property back, then you may dispose of it. If you need clarification about my answer or additional information, please use the SEND or REPLY button to continue our conversation. Your satisfaction is my goal and I am here to help!Please remember to kindly leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as that is the only way experts are paid for their time even though you may have already paid a deposit to the site. Follow-up questions asked in this thread do not cost anything additional after leaving a positive rating. Thank you!

If there's anything else I can assist you with regarding my answer, please let me know. I'm happy to clarify anything or provide additional information.

If I may be of no further assistance, please remember to kindly leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as that is the only way experts are paid for their time even though you may have already paid a deposit to the site. Follow-up questions asked in this thread do not cost anything additional after leaving a positive rating. Thank you!