Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer
16823287

I rented a house a few days ago landlord assured me it was

Customer Question

I rented a house a few days ago landlord assured me it was bug free. So we moved our furniture and all our belongings in. The very first night I was going to bathroom and cock roaches were all over the walls. The second day my wife and I started getting bit . In 2 days I had over 200 bites on my back and lower legs. I had never seen a bed bug in all my 50 years but found out the previous tenant had moved out for that very reason. Now all my beds and furniture is sitting in that house and landlord still denies there are any bugs. What are my rights as resident of Indiana and how do I get my beds and furniture professionally treated. Is the landlord liable.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Maverick replied 4 months ago.

Please take a look at this IN case. The LL has breached the implied warranty of habitability and may have engaged in fraudulent inducement by lying to you about the condition of the premises just to get you to sign the lease. Your remedy is to move out and sue the landlord for this breach and for fraudulent inducement and all your consequential damages including medical bills and moving costs and costs to clean or replace your personal items, etc.