Gerald-Esquire, Other
Experience:  30 Years of experience.

I live Pasadena, CA, and I've been a tenant at my current

Customer Question

I live Pasadena, CA, and I've been a tenant at my current residence for 18 years. Just in 2015, I received a letter stating that the owner was increasing my rent from $1025 to $1200, which occurred in 2015; just this afternoon, I received another letter stating that my rent will increase an additional $200, effective in October, so my question is, is the rent increases, so hefty and often, legal?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

Unfortunately, Pasadena is NOT a rent control city. Many cities in Claifornia do have rent control ordinances that restrict a landlord's ability to raise rent. BUT Pasadena is NOT one of those cities. So I am sorry to tell you that there is no violation by this landlord in your particular situation.

I am sorry that this is not what you had hoped to hear, but I would not want to mislead you into pursuing an action that you have no opprotunity to succeed in.

Here is more information about rent control in California:

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,