Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer

I was just given a non renewal of my lease. I have no where

Customer Question

I was just given a non renewal of my lease. I have no where to go, no findings nor the manpower to move. I had no problems other than a medical crisis that made my rent late for 1 week. My social security paid me the second Wednesday of every month I even paid the late fee.
I always notified management of my status and was never given any warnings. I JUST secured a full time position
After letting the office know I would regain on time status September 1st they posted the non renewal on my door.
This has caused me an exacerbation of my illness as I'm frightened. I have no one to turn to.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Maverick replied 2 months ago.

Welcome! My name is Maverick. Please give me a few minutes to analyze and/or research your inquiry and I will be back.

Expert:  Maverick replied 2 months ago.

Because the landlord has no duty to renew a lease, there is not much that you can do here. There may be an exception if you think that they are denying you a renewal for discriminatory reasons. The Fair Housing Act prohibits discrimination in housing on the basis of:

• Race or color
  • National origin
  • Religion
  • Sex
  • Familial status (families with children)
  • Disability

If you think that this is what is going on, then you can file a complaint against the landlord here.

Expert:  Maverick replied 2 months ago.

If we are done, please assign a feedback rating so Just Answer will compensate me. Thank you for using Just Answer.