How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 31657
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son and his family moved in 5 & 1/2 years ago. Just

Customer Question

my son and his family moved in 5 & 1/2 years ago. Just helping them on temp basis. Now they won't leave. They have financially devistated me and destroyed my home and property. I left the home 2 weeks ago due to I couldn't take it anymore, living like a prisoner in my bedroom to avoid conflicts. What are my rights as a senior citizen on a fixed income? No rental agreement due to them being family. I didn't want them to be homeless, but neither have made any effort to get jobs, only welfare and food stamps, where the welfare money goes, I have no idea.
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Roger replied 10 months ago.
Hi. My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.
Expert:  Roger replied 10 months ago.
Because of the length of time they're been there, your son and his family would likely be considered tenants even if there's no lease agreement and even if they're not paying rent.
Expert:  Roger replied 10 months ago.
If you want to remove them, you'll need to give a 60 day notice to vacate (
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I was told that by my leaving, that I could be accused of abandoning my property and they win by default, is that true?
Expert:  Roger replied 10 months ago.
Once the notice period is up, they should be out.....and if they're not, you could proceed with filing an eviction/unlawful detainer lawsuit.
Expert:  Roger replied 10 months ago.
No -- they can't obtain ownership or a right to possess the property simply because you left.If you abandoned the property for several years, they could possibly claim adverse possession. But, it takes many years for that to occur.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
how do I file the 90 day notice Oregon Law requires? Wher do I find the notice?
Expert:  Roger replied 10 months ago.
There's likely no form notice - just a written letter should suffice.
Expert:  Roger replied 10 months ago.
As long as the notice says they have 60 days to vacate the property, and you can prove it was hand delivered to them, that should be sufficient.
Expert:  Roger replied 10 months ago.
Here's a link to the law:
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
really? No filing with the courts necessary? My 72 hr. notice, I got on line and I personally gave them a copy and kept one for myself. No filing with the courts. I love my son and I do not want to make this more difficult than it need be. He says they will leave in the 90 days, but other family members feel this may take years to get them out of my home if I don't file a legal 90 day notice thru the court system. I don't like that idea due to the penalty that notice will put on them and thus defeating the purpose of trying to help them in the first place. I am not giving in, I just don't want to destroy my relationship with my son.
Expert:  Roger replied 10 months ago.
Here's another good link:
Expert:  Roger replied 10 months ago.
If you're in Portland, the notice period is 90 days.
Expert:  Roger replied 10 months ago.
There's nothing required to be files in court UNLESS they don't vacate after the notice period expires.
Expert:  Roger replied 10 months ago.
If they don't leave after that period, you would have to file suit for an eviction.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you Mr. Roger, you have eased my mind on this issue. I am a senior citizen and I really don't need all the worry, so thank you and you have been very helpful. Thank you for the links, I will check them out. You have a nice day and keep up the good work.
Expert:  Roger replied 10 months ago.
Thanks for the kind words and please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions