socallegalwork, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and licensed real estate broker with over twelve years of experience, specializing in landlord/tenant matters.

My lease ends in the third week of this month. I am in the

Customer Question

My lease ends in the third week of this month. I am in the process of moving. It is a 6 month leasend ending on August 21st. I gave my property manager 60 days verbal notice and more than 30 days written notice. When I gave my written notice I was told that per my lease is have to give 60 days written. My rent was not prorated for this month and they want me to pay through September as well. I have received no notice of automatic renewal and believed the 30 days would be sufficient. Can my landlord require me to pay all of this month and next for not giving the full 60 days even though the term was only through the 21st of August? I live in Kansas.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  socallegalwork replied 2 months ago.

Hello I believe I can assist. The default rule in Kansas is that a 30 day notice is required once your lease becomes month-to-month. However, if you lease does, in fact, require 60 days written notice, then that will be determinative. That is the rule you must follow. In short, from what you have described, you will be required to pay 60 days worth of rent (this month and next).