Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert

My question is a Landlord/Tenant related issue. On

Customer Question

Hello Good Day!
My question is a Landlord/Tenant related issue.
On 11/1/2015, I signed a 6 month lease on a rental property where I currently reside. That lease was up 5/31/20165. A new lease was to have been initiated for another 6 months or 12 months, but it never got initiated. My Landlord lives 3 streets over, of which, I deposits my monthly rent check into his mailbox outside his home. Upon paying my June rent, luckily, this time I was able to personally hand deliver it to, as well chit chat with him for a bit. Upon paying my rent on July 4th, like normal, I noticed my Landlord's home was up for sale.
On July 31, 2016, I received a text message that my rental as been sold and will be closing in 30 days. Given the developments that I have outlined, is there any recourse that I can pursue to have the Landlord at lest pay for my moving cost. Grant it, I know that its his property, and he pretty much can do with what he likes with it, but 7 months into my stay here, I'm now having to move out again. It was a great expense for me to move in (Trucks, Movers etc), therefore, shouldn't the Landlord be under some obligation to reimburse or pay for my moving cost to move out on such short notice? I believe he knew long before of his intentions to sell this home, and certainly had opportunity to notify me of his intent much earlier. Are there any actions that I can pursue at this time? Please advise.... Thank you CCA
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  LandlordTenantAnswer replied 2 months ago.

Good evening. I am sorry to hear about what you are going through. Can you share with me what State you are in?

Hi, are you still with me?