Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

Re: deduction for extra tenant expenses. I rented a Boston

Customer Question

Re: deduction for extra tenant expenses. I rented a Boston MA condo to a man in April. It is in a high rise building with parking. Two weekends ago, there was an accident in the garage; there was so much damage that no one could enter/exit the garage for 5 days. My tenant deducted $300 from his rent for extra costs of renting a car for 3 days because his car was trapped in the garage
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Roger replied 4 months ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Expert:  Roger replied 4 months ago.

Unless your lease requires you to cover costs for damages to the garage or damages caused by third parties, then this should not be your responsibility or issue. Also, your tenant should not have legal grounds to deduct rent due to you because of something like this.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi - Your response was not re my question. my question was not about me paying for damages to garage or any damages caused by 3rd parties. I rent an apartment with a garage space in a shared garage. My tenant could not exit the garage after the incident because the exit was blocked [for him and for several other people]. So my tenant couldn't use his car for 3 days and had to rent a car to go to a social function up north. He deducted the amount of the car rental [may or may not include gas + tolls]
Expert:  Roger replied 4 months ago.

Hi - I undderstand the facts, and I assumed you were wanting to know whether or not your tenant had grounds to withhold rent because of a condition that has nothing to do with you. IF that's the question, it would appear that you have no liability to your tenant unless your lease agreement creates some type of obligation or liability for this issue.