Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert

A friend of mine recently passed away suddenly...His family

Customer Question

A friend of mine recently passed away suddenly...His family and friends are trying to clear out his trailer as quickly as possible and are running into a few snags....first of all the landlord has told them that he has already sold the trailer to another tenant and wants all the possessions out by the 3rd...he passed away on July 4 2016. To this date the landlord has not received written notification of my friends passing (or a copy of his death certificate) what are the family's rights when trying to get the rest of his possessions out of his trailer....also... the landlord in question never checked on the executorship or the death record of the tenant....the tenants keys were given to family by the hospital... please help...they are trying to get his things out...but need time.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

Can you tell me what state this is in?

Was friend renting the trailer from the landlord?

Is the rent delinquent on the trailer?

Has any of the family filed a probate case to settle the estate and been named executor/Administrator of the estate?

Has the landlord sent any type of written notice to vacate to the family or executor/Admin?