Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney

I have a studio apt. for rent separate from the main house.

Customer Question

I have a studio apt. for rent separate from the main house. The renter would use the guest bath in the main house as well as have access to laundry and kitchen areas. Can the renter deny use of the guest bath when they are not physically present in their studio apt but has possession of the key to the studio apt?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

A tenant typically has exclusive use of and possession of rented areas, unless the lease says otherwise. If your lease agreement states that the renter will be sharing the bathroom, laundry, and kitchen areas with other people in the main home, that is binding and he cannot keep other people out of the bathroom. The best way to avoid an issue is to get a written lease that makes the terms clear. You could even have the tenant initial that clause to indicate understanding that the bathroom is shared.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Do you have any other questions about this?