Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert

I am breaking my lease because I am buying a house. My

Customer Question

I am breaking my lease because I am buying a house. My landlord is requiring 60 days notice and will charge my 2 months rent as a Termination Fee for terminating the lease early. I feel that the 2 months rent is excessive, especially if they rent the apartment within 60 days of me vacating. This seems like double dipping to me. I live in North Carolina.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: NC
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: No
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  MDLawyer replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for using the Just Answer website. I look forward to assisting you. Do you have a written lease? If yes, what does the lease state with regards ***** ***** termination?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have a lease. It is large apartment complex company with locations all over the U.S. There is nothing that I can find in the lease that says I have to pay a 2 month termination fee. It does say the will credit all subsequent rent from subsequent renters. So I am not sure how they can keep a full 2 months rent from me.