MDLawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  10 years in legal practice. Over 5 years in advising clients on landlord/tenant issues, including on a pro bono basis.

In my new lease my Landlord now says I cant have a overnight

Customer Question

in my new lease my Landlord now says I cant have a overnight guest, I never had overnight guess except for my mom and her traveling companion to care for her when I am not there...isn't this invasion of privacy? Its not like I am having a different or the same person every night.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Maui, Hawaii
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: not yet...this landlord is flaky at best
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: she first said I would have a year lease and then changed it to 7 months...
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  MDLawyer replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for using the Just Answer website. I look forward to assisting you. Can you tell me what the exact language in the lease states? Also, is this a room in a house, an apartment in a complex, a duplex, a house?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The exact language is "Tenant will not have overnight guest on property without letting landlord know" and it is a two bedroom 1 bath House.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
is that language legal?
Expert:  MDLawyer replied 3 months ago.

So it's a house that only you are renting and the landlord/owner does not also live in the house?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
just rent it alone landlord does not live on property's
Expert:  MDLawyer replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for the additional information. After conducting additional research and reviewing the facts you have given, it is perfectly legal for a landlord to limit overnight guests so long as it is in the lease. You stated that there was a new lease and that she had added this to the new lease. That is legal. What the landlord CANNOT do is limit overnight guests when there is nothing in the written lease prohibiting overnight guests.

Expert:  MDLawyer replied 2 months ago.

If there is no additional legal information that you need and I have answered your initial question in a professional manner, please be so kind as to leave a positive rating as that is the only way that we experts get credited and compensated for the time spent researching and answering your questions since we are not Just Answer employees.

Thank you in advance for your positive review and for allowing me to assist you yesterday and today.