legalgems, attorney
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed

I rent a place the contract is for 1 year at $1500.00/month

Customer Question

I rent a place the contract is for 1 year at $1500.00/month + 1 months deposit. Therefore the contract is $18,000.00 + 1 months deposit. I have paid YTD $15,900.00 /rent therefore I should owe $$2,100.00 Two questions 1) when do I give notice of ending contract 2) I have planted in the rental property day lillys which I plan to take. The land lord should not have a problem with this? I have a standard Texas renters contract.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  legalgems replied 2 months ago.

The lease can actually make different provisions regarding providing notice; generally a one year lease requires a 30 or 60 day notice, unless it is an end of express lease term in which case the lease ends on the stated date. Some of the end of express lease terms actually have a notification requirement, stating that the parties must express in writing their intent to terminate the lease, otherwise it will auto renew for the same time period (ie one year).

So there is really no standard lease regarding this, as each landlord uses their own lease and can draft many of the provisions to their preference unless precluded by statute. The statute does not prevent this and those statutes are here:

As for the flowers, so long as the property is restored to the condition it was in, the landlord cannot claim damages for the tenant removing personal property. However, the landlord can bring a claim if the tenant did not have permission to plant the flowers, and the removal causes an eye sore, because the tenant is not supposed to affect the landscape without express permission from the landlord.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned 5 stars as I strive to provide my customers with great service.

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Hi- just checking in to see if you needed clarification on any of the above information. If so please post here (there is no additional charge for this) and I will do my best to get you the requested information.

Thank you!