Infolawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Experience representing landlords and tenants.

I am a tenant in an upstairs apartment in Bermuda Dunes, CA.

Customer Question

I am a tenant in an upstairs apartment in Bermuda Dunes, CA. It is by Indio, CA. It was about 117 degrees yesterday. At about 9 pm the temperature in my bedroom was 90 degrees and the living room 87 degrees. I have complained numerous times. The first time the filter was cleaned, the second time I really don't think anything happened, the third time the leaves and debris were cleaned from around the unit. The manager of the apartment told me this was just normal and to buy fans. I had him sign a paper that this was the third time he was notified of how hot my apartment is. The air conditioning never stops running. I have lived in the desert for many years and never had an apartment this hot. I have two more months on my lease. Is there anything I can do.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 2 months ago.

You can threaten to file a complaint in court. This may get landlord to reconsider - since would cost him more to hire a lawyer, exposure to investigation. If other tenants affected, having them join you would help. Another option is to seek to cancel lease on this basis which landlord would also want to avoid. You can have a lawyer contact the landlord for added leverage.

Kindly take a moment to click on a positive rating, thank you and have a wonderful week!