Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney
26798026

Can I give my tenant a notice to quit for not paying rent

Customer Question

Can I give my tenant a notice to quit for not paying rent once (currently 27 days late) without a notice to cure? in the state of Colorado.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that your tenant is not paying.

Unfortunately, no, that's not allowed. The official name of the notice in Colorado is "Demand for Compliance or Right to Possession," meaning the tenant is getting notice to follow the lease, first and foremost, and only to move out if they can't or won't. If the tenant pays, they have a legal right to stay. However, you have the ability as landlord to choose not to renew the lease when the time comes, and you do not have to give a reason. If the tenant is month to month, you can serve a 30 day notice of termination of the tenancy if they pay once they get the Demand for Compliance.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.