Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

I have some questions regarding my rental house. My rental

Customer Question

My name is Jenny. I have some questions regarding my rental house.
My rental house had a water leak and was damaged badly even affects neighbors house. The water leak was caused by a device which installed by the tenant.
1. Who is responsible for the cost?
2. I have a house insurance, if the tenant is responsible for the cost for repairing, who should be responsible to notify the tenant that he should pay for the cost, house insurance company or myself?
3. If the tenant refuses to pay for the cost, who is responsible to sue tenant, house insurance company or myself?
If it is possible, please email me with the answers.
My email address is***@******.***
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Roger replied 3 months ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

If the tenant caused the damage (which is over and , then the tenant should be responsible for the damages and cost of repair.

Expert:  Roger replied 3 months ago.

If have insurance, then you could file a claim and ask the tenant to pay your out of pocket expenses, or you could demand that the tenant cover the repairs without involving insurance.

Expert:  Roger replied 3 months ago.

If the tenant refuses, you can sue....or if the insurance covers the damage, it can sue/seek subrogation of the claim.