How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 37078
Experience:  I have handled Real Estate and Landlord Tenant matters for more than two decades.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a 1200 Sq ft garden and use 1000 gallons of water per

Customer Question

I have a 1200 Sq ft garden and use 1000 gallons of water per wk the water doesnt go In to the sewer system but the town wants to charge for it I have a hose bibb water meter that shows the amount of water that I use for the garden I don't mlnd paying for the water I use but I don't want to pay for something not going into the sewer I want to deduct water amount from my meter from my water bill
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  LawTalk replied 10 months ago.

Good afternoon Mickey,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Welcome to the rip-off of municipal water system entities that bill in conjunction with the sewer system. All of these authorities that I have run across---including mine---bill you for sewer services based on the entire amount of water used on your property, and not just the water you can prove goes into the sewer system.

Unfortunately, the law is written so that they may legally charge you sewer rates based on the water consumption on your property regardless of the use of that water. You cannot write off the water that goes into gardening. I'm sorry.

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.

Would you please take a moment to positively rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided by clicking on the rating stars---three stars or more. It is that easy. That is the way I am compensated for having helped you.

Thank you in advance. I wish you the best in your future,


Expert:  LawTalk replied 10 months ago.

Good evening,

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, and with the expectation that you would act similarly and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,


Expert:  LawTalk replied 10 months ago.


Is there anything else I can assist you with?


Related Landlord-Tenant Questions