Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

I am moving out of an apartment that I have had many issues

Customer Question

I am moving out of an apartment that I have had many issues with staff who have not upheld their agreements upon move in last July My lease states 15 mo term It was supposed to be 12 mo term. It was changed, but I did sign because when I moved in I ran in to get keys with amoving truck in the parking lot. I had no thoughts that the term of lease would be changed by staff, so I didn't even think to verify that on the lease upon move in. I just quickly signed and got the keys because the moving truck was there. I am now trying to leave after 13 months of On Time rental payments and because I received a rate while they were running a special, they want the difference of that amount also paid back to them. I pay $1399/month when they say they could charge $1450/mo for this place. That calculates in their mind to $651 extra they want paid to them + one month's rent the day of move out. I don't have the $$ to pay 2 rents and I am moving to a cheaper place/month. I will be paying August rent because I am moving August 19th and they also want September and October rent. My lease would've been up October, when it should've been up July 2016 which would be 12 months from July 2015. I don't have the $4693 they want upon move out, please help me with what my options are.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Anthony Guillory replied 7 months ago.

Hi, what state are you in?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
FL
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I will pay August rent because I am not moving until the Aug. 20th. I shouldn't even have the issue of "moving out early" because my lease should've ended in July of 2016. I have written to Corporate and the Manager here and the BBB. I have not had any response from this corporation except that I owe them. Period. I don't have the $4600+ they want. We can subtract $1440 since I will pay rent for August. Also, I don't feel I owe them $651 for the difference of the "special rate" they offered me upon move in. I know people with the same apt that pay less/month and it's just the rate they offered at that time of their move in