Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert

I was a tenant to Jxn Housing and moved out of their

Customer Question

I was a tenant to Jxn Housing and moved out of their property in May. I had to file several maintenance requests while living there beginning in February because I had no hot water or air conditioning. The last payment made for April came with an agreement that my utilities would be fixed but to no avail. In May I finally could not take any more and moved out. The company is still billing me for being a tenant but I am no longer there.
Can they bill me if they did not fix the utilities? I am currently in debt to them for over $2000 and I only bring in $1200 per month.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is Alex.
Thank you for your question.
I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Did you have a written lease and did you move out before the expiration of the written lease?

Did you make your requests for repairs in writing and did you file a lawsuit in your local court to address any repair issues before moving out and obtained court's order to rescind the lease?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have written lease and written requests, but gave a verbal notice of leaving

Thank you for your follow up.

Did you move out before the end of your lease?

Did you obtain a written permission to move out earlier from the landlord / property management?