MDLawyer
MDLawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  10 years in legal practice. Over 5 years in advising clients on landlord/tenant issues, including on a pro bono basis.
16277701

My landlord told me on July 18th that she wanted to sell the

Customer Question

My landlord told me on July 18th that she wanted to sell the house I am renting. She would be putting it on the market on August 1st. She did not give me 20 day written notice. I was being accommodating and moved out by the 22nd. I was lucky enough to find a place. I sent her a notice and said that I would be out of the property by August 31 and she said that was fine and I would get my full deposit back.
Yesterday, I went back to clean and she had installed staging furniture in the house. I still have the lease until the 31st. She did not give me 48 hours to enter, nor did she tell me that she would be putting furniture in.
I asked her to refund a prorated rent for the last of the week of the month because she took position. Now she is telling me that I owe her 10days of rent for August because of the state law requiring 20 days notice.
Am I liable for the 10 days rent for August since she accepted my termination letter on August 31st? Can she legally move the furniture in since I have the lease until the 31st?
I feel like she has broken several statutes in this whole process too. Advice?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 months ago.

Good afternoon Tami,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a personal phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

Let me know if you don't want a call and I will be happy continue here with an answer for you.

Either way, whether I call you or not, in order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. Did the landlord ask you to move, or did she just say she was putting the house up for sale?

2. When did you send her the notice that you would be out by August 31? (Did you mean July 31?)

3. Have you paid rent through the end of the month?

4. What do you mean when you say "She did not give me 48 hours to enter"?

5. Did you intend to pay rent for August, 2016?

Thanks in advance,

Doug

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
1. Did the landlord ask you to move, or did she just say she was putting the house up for sale? She did not ask me to move; she told me she was selling immediately and wanted the property on the market August 1. The problem was she said she wanted to 'stage' the house. I am leaving on a 3 week vacation on August 1st. That meant that the house would be on the market with all my belongings in it. Made me very nervous. Also, I would have had to allow her to do what she wanted to it - like straighten the bed or remove pictures.2. When did you send her the notice that you would be out by August 31? (Did you mean July 31?) I did mean July 31. I sent the message on Monday July 25th. However, we had a text conversation on July 20 and she responded on July 21.3. Have you paid rent through the end of the month? Yes, end of July4. What do you mean when you say "She did not give me 48 hours to enter"? She came into the house yesterday and let the staging company in without giving me notice. My lease doesn't expire until July 31.5. Did you intend to pay rent for August, 2016? No.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 months ago.

Hi Tami,

Would you like me to call you so we can discuss all of this for just $5 more?

Doug

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
sure(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I might have to call you
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 months ago.

Great. That will make things a lot more easy to discuss. You will need to click on the accept icon for the call offer. I can call you now or when it is convenient for you.

Doug

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The link to pay the $5 doesn't want to work.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have time now to talk
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 months ago.

I'll offer it again and if it doesn't work, please give a quick call to customer service at(###) ###-####and they can immediately fix the issue.

Doug

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Did you get my last response? Can we please keep e-mailing? I really need help here. I am supposed to meet her at 6 for a walk through and give the keys back
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 months ago.

I did not receive a response from you since you wrote that you have time to talk now. I need a lot more information before I can give you any answers, which is why the call is so important---especially if you are under a time constraint.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I get that it will be easier to talk but for some reason, the website will not process my $5 due to a security block from my bank. I would be very happy to send you $5. It is costing me way more than that in stress and time. In order to process the payment, I have to call my bank, remove the security block (which is probably due to the block I set up for my extended travel) but that could take another hour.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I had suggested that we keep typing since the website will not process my $5 payment
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 months ago.

Alright,

I am on a call to another customer at the moment and will get to you when I get off the phone.

Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 months ago.

1. Did the landlord change the locks on your rental so you cannot get in?

2. Did she tell you that you had to move all of your things out so that she could stage the house?

3. Have you demanded that she remove all the things she placed in your rental?

4. Aside from the need to clean, was there any of your property still left in the rental when she staged the house?

5. Did you turn in the keys to the landlord yet---or do you still have them because your lease ends on the 31st?

Doug

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Did the landlord change the locks on your rental so you cannot get in? No2. Did she tell you that you had to move all of your things out so that she could stage the house? No3. Have you demanded that she remove all the things she placed in your rental? No, but I thought about it4. Aside from the need to clean, was there any of your property still left in the rental when she staged the house? Just some odds and ends5. Did you turn in the keys to the landlord yet---or do you still have them because your lease ends on the 31st? I still have the keysAs a side note, she never told me that she would be staging the house. They just came in with no notice.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 months ago.

I'm sorry. I was hoping that you would provide the additional information in a more timely manner.

I am getting ready to leave my office for the evening and will not have time tonight to complete the answer for you. I'll opt out and perhaps someone else will be able to assist you.

Your question is being placed back in the question list for other professionals to see, and to respond to. You do not have to stay online for the question to be active. Should another professional pick it up, you should be alerted by email unless you actively disable this feature.

There is no need for you to reply at this time as this may "lock" your question back to me, thus inadvertently delaying other professionals' access to it.

I apologize for any inconvenience and wish you well in your future.

Doug

Expert:  MDLawyer replied 5 months ago.

Hello. I am a different legal expert here on Just Answer. I see that the previous expert has opted out. Please let me know if you still need help.