Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert

I have been renting a home 11 months and live with my 92

Customer Question

I have been renting a home for about 11 months and live with my 92 year old mother. The air conditioning stopped working last week during the height of a major hear wave of temperatures upwards of 95 to over 100 degrees and my mothers caretaker called someone in to repair as I work 10-12 hours a day and am up reachable. We paid for the repairs and in writing I let the landlord know a few days later. Only a few days later the air conditioning went out again and this time my fiancé was visiting and called the repair people who had previously been here. They came out and said the compressor needed replacing. I alerted the landlord who in essence was blaming me for not calling him immediately. He is aware of my work schedule and that I am unreachable during the day. I again reminded him that due to the high temperatures and my mothers health issues and her age that I felt the caretaker did the right thing. Continuing going forward, when the landlord and his repair person came out yesterday, it was discovered that the entire unit needs replacing. It is 20 years old. What was conveyed to me was depending on price and when he makes a decision, and how busy the repair people are right now, it probably won't be till next week till it is repaired. I have also read the civil codes and he was kind enough to quote from them that no air conditioning does not constitute making a home
uninhabitable. I came home last night from work and the temperature in the house was 85 degrees at 10:30pm. Because of my work schedule I really do need to get a reasonable amount of sleep. Because of the heat I was unable to fall asleep till after 1:30am. Then again because of the heat I was awake ar 6:30am. So my question is, does he have any responsibility in paying for alternative housing, and what is considered a reasonable amount of time to fix, given the high temperatures we are currently experiencing. I also mentioned that no health professional would support having a 92 year old be subject to this heat, as it is a health risk. Thank you.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 3 months ago.

Reviewing your facts now.

are you asking how to get landlord to address the problem or whether you may leave without penalty?

awaiting your reply.