insearchoftheanswer
insearchoftheanswer, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer; developer/owner of RE developments.
17027240

My Fiance was going to move in to my place. He moved over

Customer Question

My Fiance was going to move in to my place. He moved over some personal items and his two lizard pets. We also got a storage unit together which I put in my name. He started having these meltdown abusive tyraids and kept threatening me that he was going to leave and end things. I adopted another kitty from a shelter on a Friday and he was absolutely livid. He texted me and said he was not coming back, he refused to talk to me and cut off all communication. Then he then came two days later to pick up his personal clothes, did not speak to me hardly at all and returned my house key. He left his other items in the garage and left the pets. He didn't want the pets because they were sick and needed medication. He said he doesn't want them as long as they were on medication. He then cancelled the payment credit card on the storage unit so I had to come up with the money since the unit was in my name. I contacted him and said I was closing out the unit and he needed to come get his things. He would not respond or call the storage place to make arrangements. I tried contacting him 3 times with no reponse. I had to close out the unit and I contacted some of his friends to get his things otherwise they would have been thrown out. My question is: the remaining items that he abandoned at my property and his pets he abandoned. I want to keep the pets since he is not allowed pets at his condo complex and they were sick and dying in his care. The one lizard was dying from parasites and he told me to leave her at the vet since he didn't want to pay the money. He does not care about the welfare of the animals. What do I do regarding his few items he left in my garage and can I legally keep the pets since he has abandoned them and is refusing to talk to me. I live in Florida
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Florida
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: also he was a police officer for 20 years and knows things
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I have not talked with a lawyer yet
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  insearchoftheanswer replied 4 months ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today! It will take me just a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

There are specific Florida statutes governing your situation. Your fiance is basically treated as a tenant who has given up occupancy. The applicable Florida statutes are 715.104-715.109. They spell out specifically the notice that must be given and how much time he has to claim the property. These statutory provisions can be found at this link: https://www.lawserver.com/law/state/florida/statutes/florida_statutes_715-104

If you need help understanding any of the provisions, just let me know and I'll be happy to help!