Nishan Parlakian
Nishan Parlakian,
Experience:  Principal at Consumer Law Office of Nishan Parlakian, Esq.
22033236

I have rented with this landlord 3 years on a 30 day basis.

Customer Question

I have rented with this landlord for almost 3 years on a 30 day basis. He called me on the last week ofJune to tell me I had to move out as he was selling the unit. Mr.Thagouras (the landlord) recognizes that on SS disability income and for me to be able to move as he wanted, with just a few days notice was impossible for me as I would have to pay the new rent and deposit. I told him I would be out by the 3 of August and he agreed verbally then he went and filed for my eviction.
I secured a place to rent F or the 3rd and he is throwing a handicap person that uses a walker into the street tomorrow.
My question, I was never late with my rent for almost three years.
Isn't the law of month to month occupancy requires a warning of 30 days.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Nishan Parlakian replied 4 months ago.

Mr. Villafane,

IN most jurisdictions and for a residential lease, you are correct you must be given at least 30 days notice. That would mean if the landlord told you on July 5th you had to leave, you would have until August 30th to vacate. Now you should send him a letter advising him that he must provide to you a full 30 days notice. "Dear Mr. Landlord, I have received your demand to vacate. As you know the law provides me with a full 30 days to vacate the premises". Please be advised that any attempt to forcibly evict me will result in the assertion of my rights to the fullest extent of the law, including a court preceding and the payment of all of my legal expenses. This note is sent without prejudice to any rights in this matter. I herein reserve all of my rights at law and equity." Sincerely ***** ***** Villafane. Now aside from this you may have to go to court to preserve your rights and have the eviction stayed. This would be the safest course and it would be wise to have the landlord explain to a judge why he is trying to kick out a disabled person with virtually no warning. Hope this helps you. Best, Sean

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Your answer did no apply in Pensacola,Fl
I understood my first question would be 5.00. you guys charged me as if I joined as a member. Please cancel my account and credit me the 46.00 you charged after the apparent bait and hook. I will also be calling Social Security to request a cancellation.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I just spoke with direct express and their records indicate you have put a credit hold on my account.
I answered your site because it said my first question was only going to be 5.00 dollars and you charged it and I have no problem with that.
I do not want to have an account with you on a monthly basis so cancel this charge and release the credit hold you have put on my account.
I was instructe to call Direct Express tomorrow as I intend to dispute this.
I never intended to open a monthly account with you.
Your manner of charging for services not knowingly request by me is totally questionable.