AttyHeather
AttyHeather, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience
93913325

I just renewed my lease in May. Problems sent in repairs

Customer Question

I just renewed my lease in May. Problems sent in for maintenance repairs from 6+ months ago have gone un answered or fixed. And now the a/c is working 50% of the time. The property management company sent there guy out for a home check over a week ago, when he was given a hand written list of all of the problems. Other than the guest bathroom toilet that won't flush as of 2 days ago and the a/c unit that is now failing. I put in proper maintenance requests for both. On top I have to worry about my dogs being attacked by other off leash animals. Since renewing the lease in May everything has got progressively worse. I am handicapped and live on a tight budget, that's the only reason I resigned for another year. But I need assistance on getting out of here as soon as possible with a hands off lease brake. I've had to call animal control on 3-4 separate owners and one of my dogs were attacked by a off leash dog about 8months ago.(on record with animal control) but I need help to get out of here. I can fax or bring you a copy of my lease to see if there is anything you can do.
Thank you
Ryson Pallante (###) ###-####
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 8 months ago.

In what State do you reside?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Henderson Nevada
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I can email you the lease tomorrow. Between property management company, hoa, and the revolving neighbors in a privately owned gated complex. These are issues I have never had to deal with before. I have a long rental history, and have never had to deal with anything like this. Between either of the issues, and this is the "nicest" part of down I've lived in.

Thank you for the information. I do not need to see the lease.

You should sent a written notice to the Landlord detailing the issues that you have and request that the Landlord fix the issues. Make sure to keep a copy of your notice. If the Landlord ignores you or does not fix the issue within 14 days of your written notice, Nevada Landlord and Tenant Act gives you permission to terminate the lease immediately and not be held liable for the remainder of the lease. See Nevada Revised Statutes Chapter 118A Section 118A.355.

Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
even with the request from 6-8months ago. After the lease renewal do I have to 14 days for the resubmitted stuff or can I cut it from the non response from before?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The repair requests are required to do online, so I do not have record of them. But was charged over $400 in fees in June and at that time, 0 of the repairs were addressed. I want out, I read the law link, but how do I deal with the property management? Or do I need to waste more money for an attorney to handle them?

You need to give another written notice to the Landlord/Management and wait for 14 days before terminating your lease. That is the current law.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok, they were here for the home check and given a list on the 13th of this month. Then the toilet broke, followed by a online maintaince issue and again last night for the failing a/c unit. So according to that, if stuffs not fixed as of the 27th I can tell them good bye if I choose. Without any of the extra stuff they try?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
do I have to do any type of 30 day notice or can I just let them know they screwed me and roll out?

Response 1: Yes. However, you need to make sure that you have a copy of the notices given. Otherwise, it would be your words against theirs.

And do I have to do any type of 30 day notice or can I just let them know they screwed me and roll out?

Response 2: 30-day notice is not required under the circumstances. You can just give them a notice that since the repairs were not done within 14 days of your notice, pursuant to Nevada Revised Statutes Chapter 118A Section 118A.355 that you are terminating your lease, effect immediately. You should also request that any Security Deposit (NRS Section 118A.242) that you paid be returned to you.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Excellent. I will contact you and let you know if anything happens by then. Thank you for your assistance and advice.

You are quite Welcome!

You actually need to use the pop-up screen to give the five-star rating.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Working off a cell right now but will make it to the computer and given personal acalades to you personally. Whether they actually do the work in the next 3 days or you get me out of here properly. Another question, if it hits the 14 days, how many days will I be allowed to pack up and get out. Because obviously I'm not sure whether they're going to come through or not. I'm not going to start packing, and am going to start looking around at new places. Just need to what the time line is after the 14 days. Is it next day or do I have a day or two
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The plan was to ride the lease out, and buy a house. So that might have to happen sooner than later,but I'm going to end up paying for 2 different moves. Which will probably be about $800 a pop. I make 30k a year maybe and $10 thousand away for a house or condo after the lease was up.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
After the 14 days what is the time limit?
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 8 months ago.

Hi, I'm Heather, an attorney with 15 years experience. I'm a different attorney, as your previous professional has opted out. I can assist for informational purposes.

What can I help you with? I'm unsure what you mean with your question, "after the 14 days what is the time limit?"

Time limit for what?