Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

Is anyone living in my apartment - whether management put

Customer Question

Is anyone living in my apartment - whether management put them on the lease (as requested but failed) or not - covered under the protections of being entitled to living somewhere safe and free of harassment or retaliation for voicing about problems in the complex? We live in an apartment complex when drug dealing is rampant and the manager of the complex's daughter and the daughter's boyfriend are involved in it. Several times, threats have been made to me -- the fiancee that requested to be put on the lease but due to lousy management, it has yet to happen. For example, a resident said he wanted a "piece of my pussy" and the manager - when told - said she knew nothing about the resident. Another time, I was sitting outside and the manager's daughter accused me of being a "snitch" to the cops just because she saw me walking to the trash and I waved at an officer. I have addressed these and the general issues with the complex to management -- and nothing has changed. I want to pursue it with the property management firm that oversees running the complex but I'm not sure, since I am not on the lease, I have a right to do so, even if most of the things that are wrong are directed at me or have not been overheard by my fiance. Because the manager's family is involved in drugs, I am concerned - somewhat - for my safety and especially so if these valid concerns (I have a lengthy list) are brought to her attention, given I was told to not even call the cops but to "let her handle it." I'd be happy to give you a list of all the things I plan to discuss with the property management firm. I'm scared for my safety more than anything, given they have yet to put me on the lease as I have requested to do right by the complex and my fiance. Thank you.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  philip.simmons replied 4 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Do you have a question regarding this?