How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask KimberlyLaw Your Own Question
KimberlyLaw, Attorney and Real Estate Broker
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 4215
Experience:  13 years of real estate experience including foreclosures, landlord tenant matters, residential sales and condo/coop matters.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
KimberlyLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Apartments Complex, I am disabled and need

Customer Question

I live in Apartments Complex, I am disabled and need Pull-Grab Shower Bars to assist with my mobility & safety while I am showering. I was told that the Shower grab Bars, will soon not hold my body weight.I contacted, a Business which is licensed & has Liability Insurance.They said they were ADA certified, aswell Home Depo referred Handyman Service, saying that they were ADA certified and a contractor. This Service man, did not attach the Pull-Grab Bars in Compliance with the ADA codes. The Management and their preferred Contractor, said that the whole Shower component must be removed, replaced and remounted to be in compliance with ADA. The occurred costed is stated to be $1,643.93.They are asking me to pay on Installments @ $200.00 monthly.I am on a limited budget,just $870.00 monthly. I filed a Liability Insurance claim, and it was denied, saying that my request is not covered under the presented Insurance.
Management took copies of the Insurance & License, aswell,the management authorized the work to be done. I can't not afford to pay $1,643.00 and I don't want to be evicted, what do I do from here?
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  KimberlyLaw replied 7 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. I am happy to assist you today.

You actually have protection as a renter that requires the landlord to install whatever you need in your apartment, as long as it is a reasonable accommodation for your needs. So this work that needs to be done has to be paid for by the landlord.

The Americans with Disabilities Act protects you in this regard. I would send them a letter in response to the invoice and simply state that the landlord is responsible to pay for this according to the ADA. I would send that letter by certified mail with return receipt, just so you have proof that they received it. Also demand that the amount be removed from the balance due on your account.

Please let me know if this is not clear or if you have any questions about this.