MIAMILAW1127
MIAMILAW1127, Attorney
Experience:  Founding Partner at Moises Law, P.A.
89829185

I am currently renting a unit in a plaza small business in

Customer Question

I am currently renting a unit in a plaza for my small business in Thornhill. The lease is up for renewal and I would like to negotiate the rent increase as the unit I occupy has had and continues to have severe flooding during storms. This has taken a financial toll with property damage and increased employee hours for cleanup. What are my rights in this situation?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 7 months ago.

Hello. Thank you for contacting me. I am a consultant here and I am looking forward to assisting you with your question. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Please be patient as I will be typing my responses to you from scratch. Also, I can only answer/address the questions you ask specifically based on the information your provide. Please try to provide as much information as possible so I can best assist you.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Once your lease is expired, you are free to negotiate the terms of the lease however you please. However, be advised that your landlord is not required to agree to the terms you are offering. If the two of you cannot reach an agreement, you will need to vacate the premisses.

I hope this helps. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
That is what I thought but who protects the small business owner in the case of ongoing property damage by water damage?

You are supposed to make a demand to the landlord. The lease itself determines whether or not that is the landlord's responsibility to address or not.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It is the landlords responsibility according to the lease. The problem is that the roof is still leaking during rain storms and has never been permanently fixed. How would you advise me to negotiate this in a new lease?

I would be hesitant to enter into a lease with this landlord again especially if the landlord has not taken it upon themselves to fix the issues you're having with the property.