Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992

I am a Florida resident and I want to break my lease because

Customer Question

I am a Florida resident and I want to break my lease because I am buying a home, someone told me that I am able to break the lease IF I am purchasing a home, is this true and/ or are there other circumstances that me to break the lease ??
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

No, although that is a very, very common belief for some reason.

There are a few reason that you are allowed to break a lease, but every few.

They are:

1) If you are on military duty and get deployed

2) The rental unit is unsafe or violates some type of health and safety or building code, or

3) The landlord repeatedly harasses you or violates your rights of privacy.

You can also try and buy your way out of the lease, offering the landlord a portion of what you would owe if you completed the lease. That may enable the landlord to rent the property to someone else and "double dip" as to the rentals.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered. In addition, once you issue your Positive Rating the question will lock open and no longer time out so you can come back to it anytime in the future if you think of any follow ups.