Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

My husband is 72 and I am. We are renting a small house

Customer Question

My husband is 72 and I am 69. We are renting a small house right now and paying $900.00 a month! The air-conditioner runs all the time in this KS heat wave. Example: today I have the thermostate set at 72 and it is still 81 degrees in here and we have two ceiling fans turned on too. The landlord just raised our rent by $25.00 dollars. Our last electric bill was $247.00 dollars. We never paid any more than $150.00 in our town house for electric. Can we refuse to pay the increase in rent? Can we make him put in a newer air-conditioner unit? Thank you, ***** ***** in KS
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Roger replied 10 months ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Expert:  Roger replied 10 months ago.

If you have a lease, your landlord should not be able to raise rent unless the lease allows it. However, if you are a month-to-month tenant, then your landlord can raise your rent with proper advance notice (usually 30 days).

Expert:  Roger replied 10 months ago.

Under Kansas law, if a landlord who has a duty to maintain the air conditioner, and fails to do so, you can give your landlord a 14-30 day notice. That gives the landlord 14 days to fix the problem. If the problem is not fixed within 14 days, you can move out 30 days, after the next rent due date.

Here's a good link you can read: http://www.deadbeattenant.net/pdf/KS_Lease_Violation_Material.pdf

Expert:  Roger replied 10 months ago.

Hi - I was just checking in to see if you need anything further. Just let me know. Thanks!