CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing both landlords and tenants in residential and commercial property disputes.
71563194

I'm a paraplegic, I live with my daughter and her family in

Customer Question

Hi
my name is***** and I'm a paraplegic, I live with my daughter and her family in a small town called Newman.
At the beginning of June, my daughter recieved a call from the landlord, said he was sending an agent to appraise the house. Leading us to believe it was just that. One week larer Landlord called to set-up a viewing by a real estate agent. He came with two couples after going back an forth with people coming thru. My problem is when he did recieve an offer, he texr my daughter on her phone. After the offer was taken, he initially gave us 30 days. My daughter reminded him of having to consider my situation. So he extended it to sixty day's.
Our sixty days is up the first week of August. We still can't find a place for us to move. It's a stressfull situation, my daughter has a 12 yr old small dog, two children a 6 year old and 1 1/2 yr old. We certainly can't afford to be evicted. I can't even pay an attorney to help us. I'm hoping there's a free consultation
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 11 months ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for using the forum. My name is ***** ***** I hope to assist you today.

I am very sorry to learn of this situation, if I understand correctly, you (and your family) were on a month to month lease, your landlord decided to sell the property and did so. You received a 30 day notice, and the landlord extended this to a 60 day notice out of consideration for your specific situation.

You have not yet found a new residence.

While I do not see a legal issue here (you can remain in the home and force the landlord to evict you, giving you an additional month or two while the court case goes on (if you choose this option you must ensure that you file your answer with the court as soon as you are served and appear in court for your trial, otherwise the landlord will win "by default" and the eviction will happen much faster). The downside to this strategy is you will have an eviction on your rental history and it makes it much more difficult to find a rental unit in the future.

You should qualify for housing assistance of some form, contact your county housing authority, let them know you are facing immediate lease termination due to sale of your home and that you need a place to live and assistance. The county will place your case at the top of their placement list and will usually have local resources to assist you with temporary housing (if necessary).

You may even qualify for cash assistance or housing assistance.