Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

My wife and I moved to Bandera and put a deposit down on a

Customer Question

My wife and I moved to Bandera and put a deposit down on a rental house. We wanted to rent starting mid May (15th) but was told by Landlord we had to pay the full month's rent .
We did. The house had many discrepancies with it when we move in. (may 10th) We decide to move and gave the Landlord 30 days notice and would be out of the house on July 9th. The landlord said we owed the July rent. (Which we paid) and would not get our deposit back. The Landlord rented the house to another party and they moved in on July 15th. Can I get my deposit returned and the July rent I paid?
Lawrence J Cramer (###) ###-####
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 7 months ago.

Hello. My name is Alex.
Thank you for your question.
I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Did you have a written lease?

Did you agree to forfeit your deposit and to pay full July rent in exchange for an early move out?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have a lease
I did not agree to forfeit my deposit. I was told I owe the full rent for July
Email from rental company:
Gay said there is no proration on the final month per lease, so the full amount is due for July. Your lease term is to October 31st, not Month-to-Month. Because you are breaking your lease Gay could request additional months’ rent to also be paid. As long as you pay the July rent in full and leave the property in good/clean condition she will not pursue the additional rent.Attached is a copy of the Move out Instructions. Please note that if there are any carpets they must be cleaned professionally. I can get you a name if needed.Sincerely,Dori Kimball
Unlicensed Leasing Assistant for Gay Guilott
Guilott Realty
Office:(###) ###-####Cell:(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Email from Landlord:Gay said there is no proration on the final month per lease, so the full amount is due for July. Your lease term is to October 31st, not Month-to-Month. Because you are breaking your lease Gay could request additional months’ rent to also be paid. As long as you pay the July rent in full and leave the property in good/clean condition she will not pursue the additional rent.Attached is a copy of the Move out Instructions. Please note that if there are any carpets they must be cleaned professionally. I can get you a name if needed.Sincerely,Dori Kimball
Guilott Realty

Thank you for your follow up.

I am not permitted to review any legal documents for JustAnswer.com customers.

Did you respond to the email in any form?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
no

Thank you for your follow up.

Did you in fact break your lease early without written consent from the landlord or landlord's agent?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
we broke our lease, but since the landlord re-rented the house. Can't I get my rent money for July back?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I paid $43,00 and now I get another price of $34.00 What's going on. You say you can't give legal advice, but that's what I thought I paid for. And now you want $59.00 to call me????????